Monday, July 6, 2009

Horseradish Potato Salad

Today I ventured out to the Trader Joe's of Brooklyn, a good two mile walk from my apartment. It is lovely, large, free of the miniscule cramped aisles of the Union Square location. In fact, it is more akin to the suburban Trader Joe's I frequented in Chapel Hill than its Manhattan cousin. After purchasing my groceries, tucked safely in the purple confines of my Weaver Street tote bags, I boarded the B75 bus back to Park Slope. An older woman with a thick Brooklyn accent got on the bus and started chatting with me.

"Where did you get those bags?"
"Oh, I just moved here from North Carolina. The bags are from there."
"What? You got them at a hotel?"
"Uh, no. They're from North Carolina."
"What?"
"North Carolina?"
"Well they're a lovely color."

Hilarious.

And on to the recipe: Smitten Kitchen's Horseradish Potato Salad

Just as I promised yesterday, this recipe uses the red onion, small potatoes, and dill I purchased over the weekend at the market.


3 pounds small (2-inch) potatoes, your choice of variety
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar (used apple cider vinegar, what I found in the kitchen)
1 cup sour cream (I probably used just a touch less -- this seemed like a ton!)
2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (none in our kitchen yet -- left it out)

Boil the potatoes until fork tender, cool them to room temperature and quarter them.


In a large bowl, mix the remaining ingredients and fold over the potatoes. Adjust seasoning to taste.



Clearly this was delicious. Zingy but also creamy. We ate them for dinner alongside Morningstar barbeque veggie nuggets, a great combo of hot and spicy with cool and tangy.

No comments:

Post a Comment