Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Everyday Yellow Dal

Another Smitten Kitchen delight: yellow dal. I'd already made the black eyed pea curry on this page, and went back for more with this recipe. I also made the quick cabbage slaw on this page, but neglected to photograph it. Also good stuff, though I hate working with hot peppers -- as hard as I try, I always get it on my fingers and eventually in my eyes. Grrr. I need special cooking gloves, perhaps?

Everyday Yellow Dal

Serves 4

1 cup yellow split peas, soaked in cold water for 1 hour
1 large tomato (about 8 ounces), cut into 8 wedges
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 medium red onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
5 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, finely ground
3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup minced cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt

Instructions: Drain the dal (split peas) and place in a large saucepan. Add the tomato and 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until peas are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Pick out any tomato skins (this was tedious and I chose not to do it -- not a problem) and whisk dal to emulsify it. Keep warm over very low heat.

Heat the oil in a medium skillet over high heat. When the oil begins to smoke, add the cumin seeds, covering the pan with a lid or splatter screen. After the seeds have stopped sputtering, add the onion and saute over medium heat. About 3 minutes later, add the garlic and saute until most of the onion has turned dark brown, about 5 minutes altogether.

Add the coriander, turmeric and cayenne, stir and pour mixture over the dal. Add the cilantro, butter and salt to the dal and simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve hot.


It turned out soupier than I expected -- maybe I cooked my peas too long? -- but delicious nonetheless, served with some brown rice to help sop up the liquidy broth.

1 comment:

  1. I keep meaning to buy some latex gloves just for use with hot peppers. The last time I cooked with them I was careful not to touch my eyes (or anywhere else particularly sensitive), but I ended up with a jalapeno burn on one of my fingers. I'd never heard of this before, but it's basically a chemical burn, and it's incredibly hard to get rid of. After three hours of washing my hands with everything suggested by google (milk, dish detergent, booze, baking soda, etc.), the pain finally subsided.

    ReplyDelete