Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wednesday 6/10 Market and Blueberry Muffins with Streusel Topping

From today's farmer's market adventure (attended with Hilary and Stella the dog): cauliflower, broccoli, basil, blueberries (first of the season!), 3 adorable tomatoes (one early girl, one purple cherokee, one yellow variety I can't remember the name of), and two zucchini.


I'm headed to my mom's house tonight for dinner. My dad is out of town, so I promised my mom a dinner full of items he dislikes. We'll make pasta with roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini. I'll make little crostini or a salad with the tomatoes, basil, and some goat cheese I purchased a few days ago.

I'm headed to the beach tomorrow for two days, and I'll be staying with Erin's family in Duck. Since I'm crashing family beach week, I figured I ought to bring along some baked goods. Always a good way to prove one's worth. For some reason I was inspired to make lemon poppyseed muffins, but Weaver Street was out of poppy seeds, so I changed plans to include the blueberries I purchased from the market today. Mollie Katzen and Deborah Madison to the rescue, as always! The muffins are from Mollie, and the streusel topping is from Deborah. (I like to think of them as old pals. We're on a first name basis.)

Blueberry Muffins from Mollie Katzen's The Enchanted Broccoli Forest
Makes 12 muffins.

1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, clean and set aside
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh lemon or lime rind (I had lime, so I used lime)
1/3 cup light honey
1/4 cup butter [melt the honey and butter together]
1/3 cup milk
1 large egg
2 Tbs fresh lemon or lime juice (lime again here for me)



Sift together the 4 dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center. Beat together the remaining ingredients (except the berries). Pour this into the well and stir gently until just-blender, gradually adding the berries.


Fill the greased muffin cups 2/3 full.



Bake 30-35 minutes at 350F. Cool in pans 5-10 minutes before removing and devouring.


Deborah Madison's Basic Streusel Topping for Muffins from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
Makes enough streusel for 12 muffins (though I had plenty extra, probably enough for 4 more)

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup flour or 1/4 cup each flour and rolled oats
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg or cinnamon
4 Tbsp cold butter

Mix the ingredients together in a small bowl with your fingers or in a food processor until crumbly. Sprinkle over the batter, pressing them lightly into it, just before they go into the oven.


Yum! Check out the blueberry goodness.


No comments:

Post a Comment